A new wave of offshore wind projects is forming in the U.S., with the first ones seeking financing now. With 22 GW of offshore projects by 2030 and 86 GW projected by 2050, the U.S. offshore wind sector is quickly establishing itself as another major national industry poised to get its share of the $350 billion in worldwide investments in the next decade.
However, the industry still faces a wave of challenges:
- With the massive pipeline of projects, how many can actually be financed given
the enormity of costs surrounding offshore when compared to onshore?
- Who is willing to finance these capital-intensive projects & how?
- Will debt markets be supportive to provide billions of financing required?
- What are the tax equity issues and what does the landscape look like in light of the ITC/PTC step-downs?
- How can US developers & investors compete with large European and Asia-based multi-nationals?
Infocast’s Offshore Wind Finance & Investment Summit will bring together offshore wind developers, commercial/investment banks, investors, alternative finance providers, and other leading stakeholders in the offshore project development community. The Summit will explore strategies for navigating and overcoming the thorniest challenges on the path to making offshore wind projects viable, financeable, and bankable.
In 2020, the Offshore Wind Finance & Investment Summit will be co-located with the wind industry’s premier business hub, the Wind Power Finance and Investment Summit, a unique convergence of the forces driving the development & financing of the offshore and onshore wind energy sectors in the U.S.