- How restrictions on building in dense urban areas fuel housing starts in disaster-prone regions
- How building codes and standards can help harden new construction against extreme weather events
- How technologies and techniques such as Passivhaus and Zero Net Energy homes are being deployed to protect the health and wellbeing of residents while reducing climate risk
- What climate change means for vernacular design and urban planning, and what architects and engineers can learn from indigenous knowledge and traditional practices
- How mayors and public officials see the intersection of the housing- and climate crises; what tools and techniques do they have at their disposal to address the systemic equity issues it causes, and what support can they expect from public- and private stakeholders in lessening residents’ climate risks?
City on a Mission: Proximity City
February 4 - 25, 2021
About City on a Mission: NewCities' Masterclass
Dive deeper into the latest urban issues with some of the world’s leading contemporary experts. This professional training program provides an insider's guide to successful projects and policies shaping cities across the globe. It’s designed to inspire, educate, provoke debate, and offer both novel conceptual frameworks and practical tools for city-makers while addressing urban issues from a transdisciplinary and systemic lense.
Cities on a Mission is a collaboration between NewCities and Experimentalista Urban Academy.
Are you a professional in any sector whose work depends on sensing, understanding, and forecasting future urban trends? If so, this Masterclass is for you. Experts will share insights and best practices in policy, planning, technology, design and innovative solutions - speaking candidly about implications, possibilities and challenges shaping the urban agenda.
What makes City on a Mission: Proximity City unique?
Over a series of four interactive chapters we will focus on the patterns and processes underpinning urban life. The class will explain how we arrived at this moment and provide a framework for forecasting future trends in urban mobility, housing, sustainability, finance, equity, and more. It will also offer insights into how successful cities are approaching - and implementing - post-COVID transformations.
Led by professionals redefining the contours of their fields this Masterclass speaks to both present-day challenges and a vision of what’s possible, helping us reimagine our urban futures - and grow our collective potential in making them a reality.
What topics will we uncover?
Throughout City on a Mission: Proximity City, we will unpack the urban agenda measured in minutes, as cities around the world grapple with the need for more livable, human-scale cities post-pandemic. Proximity City - or the “15-minute city” as Mayor Anne Hidalgo and urban expert Carlos Moreno have baptized it in Paris - aims to live a life more local while decarbonizing along the way.
CITY ON A MISSION: PROXIMITY CITY
Key questions and themes we will explore: